Friday, February 1, 2013

Day 28

The ups and downs of having a micro preemie in the NICU are starting to get stressful. Today wasn't even a horrible day, and it still stresses me out. Maks is having a hard time again tolerating the breast milk (surprise surprise), and the doctors are starting to get concerned about his lack of weight gain. He is pretty far behind where he should be, and it is definitely discouraging. I feel so helpless; there is literally nothing I can do to help make him better. I held him yesterday, but I worried about bothering him too much today. I wanted to give his body some time to "rest and digest," so I hardly even got to see him. I know I will get used to the roller coaster, but in the meantime, it is stressful.

They decreased the breast milk to 1ml every 3 hours and increased his CPAP settings to give him a little more breathing assistance. He did have another bowel movement today, so that is encouraging. Nothing else has changed, and I am definitely grateful for no other major setbacks at the moment. Hopefully the decrease in breast milk will help him adjust, and they can start increasing again soon!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment