Thursday, February 28, 2013

Day 55

Maks had his first eye exam today. I am going to type out the results from the report just for my future reference. It still doesn't mean that much to me because I am not an eye doctor, but I want to remember. A very good thing, is that he has no evidence of Plus disease. That is a disease where the blood vessels in the eye are very tortuous. This is a sign of fairly imminent and severe retinopathy. We are very grateful for that. His left eye shows no signs of ROP (retinopathy of prematurity). His right eye has a "ridge" in zone 2. This looks sort of like a wrinkle to the viewer. He displays mild ROP in that eye, so he will get another exam done next week to see if it changes at all or progresses. Apparently, this is a fairly common occurrence in micro preemies, and it has the potential to resolve on its own with no lasting effects. That is why they continue to monitor it. If it progresses in a negative fashion, a surgical procedure will need to be done to stop further damage.

He seemed to tolerate the procedure okay, but it is fairly agitating, so he couldn't have much more stimulation today. He was scheduled for a bath this evening, and I was going to try breast feeding again, but because of the procedure, the nurse and I decided it would probably be best to hold off on those and just hold him. That was just fine with me, and I enjoyed some Brady-free snuggles today! Yay!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPa

No comments:

Post a Comment