Saturday, January 26, 2013

Day 22

Maks had a really good day today! He is continuing to respond well to the ventilator, and his abdominal X-rays looked "much better" according to Dr. Anschutz. They put him on another respiratory monitor that measures the signals his brain sends to his body to stimulate his heart and respiratory rates. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it is very amazing. Basically, they are using it to determine how much the ventilator is helping him, and how much he is doing on his own, so they can determine the best way to wean him from the ventilator.

It must have shown some pretty positive things, because this afternoon Maks was taken off the ventilator and put back on the bubble CPAP. And all of his blood gas labs looked amazing, which means he is tolerating the change well! He also had another large bowel movement last night! Woohoo! He is still NPO today, and he is getting his antibiotics. Logan and I went to see him this evening, and he was wide awake again! We got to help weigh him, and he weighs 1 lb 10 oz! We are approaching the two pound mark! I am sure he will continue to fluctuate, but it is still exciting to see how he has grown.

Since I haven't been able to hold him the past couple of days, it is really nice to see him with his eyes open to see how he interacts with us. I have no idea how much he can hear or see (I know it is not much), but it sure melts my heart to see his eyes looking in my direction in response to my voice. He is so sweet, and I pray for him to get stronger every day.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. What GREAT NEWS!!!!!!! So glad he has gained weight! It's hard to imagine that he weighs as much as 6 1/2 sticks of butter!!!! SO SMALL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete