Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Days are starting to get monotonous. Every night I dread going to sleep because everything just starts over the next day. Just like a new mom's life revolves around the feeding, changing, and sleeping of their new baby, my life revolves around pumping, driving to and from the hospital, and finding someone to watch Milyn (thank goodness for good friends and family). The difference is new moms get to look forward to increased time between feedings, increased length of naps, and increased interaction between mommy and baby; I'm pretty sure I will be doing this whole driving, hospital, and babysitting thing for a long time. I was thinking today that we are only a week and a half into this, I am already getting tired, and we still likely have at least 14 weeks left.

Okay, rant over. I will stop complaining, especially since today was another good day! Maks is doing great! Everything is pretty unchanged from yesterday. They did increase the tube feedings of breast milk to 2ml every 3 hours, and he looks really good! They made another unsuccessful attempt at replacing the PICC line today, which is a bummer. I guess they will try again tomorrow. I got to hold him, and thanks to the advice of a good friend, I decided to start reading to Maks when I hold him. I figure he would have had 14 more weeks of being in my belly and listening to me talk all day long, he ought to get at least a few minutes of listening to my voice. I downloaded The Friend on my iPad, and started from the beginning. I will try to read an article to him each time I hold him. Thanks for the advice, Aunt Teresa!

I didn't take any pictures today, but I decided to post a picture of his ultrasound done two weeks ago. It is just so crazy to me to see this picture, and know that he was born just a few days later.


I am so sincerely grateful for modern technology and the new NICU here in Idaho Falls. It really is state of the art, and the staff so far has been amazing. I was talking to Maks' nurse today, who has been a NICU nurse for 34 years. I asked her if she sees many "micro preemies" like Maks. She said they see more now, but 5 or 10 years ago, they would have never been able to care for a baby like Maks. I asked her if they just would have life-flighted the baby to Primary Children's in UT, and she said if the mother was threatening early delivery, they would have sent her to deliver there. If that would have been the case for us, there is a high probability that Maks would have been dead before we got there. It is just crazy to think about, and I am thankful that isn't the case. We are so grateful he is here, and we know he has a purpose.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment