Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Monday, January 14, 2013

What a day! What a day! Where do I start? So, yesterday I started having some pain in the back of my leg in the calf area. I clearly haven't done any strenuous exercises in the past week, and only one of my legs hurt. It kind of worried me because I worried about the possibility of a blood clot, but I figured the pain would just go away. Well, when I got up in the early morning to pump, I could hardly stand or walk, and I definitely had a positive Homan's sign (that's for all of my nursing friends). Seriously, though, it definitely hurt way worse than my c-section pain did today. Anyway, I figured I should probably call my doctor, so as soon as 8:00 rolled around, I called. I just don't trust my body right now because of everything that has gone wrong with it this week. I spoke with the nurse to see if I could just come into the office for an ultrasound of my calf. I'm not sure if they do this type of ultrasound there, but the nurse told me I should go to the emergency room to be checked out.


So, my first day back to driving (I didn't take the Percocet this morning!), and I got to take myself to the ER. I even missed Maks' rounds with the doctor and nursing staff. :( I got checked in, put on a lovely gown, and waited in a bed until the ultrasound technician came to take me to look at my leg. She did a thorough ultrasound of my ENTIRE leg, then I got back to waiting some more in the ER. I waited and waited and waited, and cried a little bit because I was sick of things going wrong, and I was worried about having a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) because I'm sure you can't nurse a baby while on blood thinners, and Maks really needs breast milk. Anyway, I had a slight breakdown moment, then pulled myself together in time for the doctor to come in and tell me that I did NOT have a DVT, but that I DID have a superficial thrombophlebitis (blood clot) in my calf muscle. Whew! All I needed to do was apply heat compresses and take Aspirin 325mg daily for a week and Motrin for the pain and inflammation. No blood thinners, and no pulmonary emboli!

So, then I went to see Maks as soon as I got out of the ER, and I was so excited to learn that he had a good night and was continuing on an upward course this morning. He got rid of the IVs in one hand and on his head because some of the medications, including the dopamine, had been discontinued. He was also urinating on his own without the help of diuretics and the renal dose of dopamine, and his labs were stabilizing. Because of all of these good things, they decided to start breast milk again, just 1ml every 6 hours. I pray and pray that his system will tolerate this without any complications! They also took another stab at weaning the hydrocortisone. Hopefully his little body is strong enough this time for all of these changes.

I didn't get to do much with him today other than just be with him, but sometimes it just helps to sit by his incubator and watch him breathe and sleep comfortably. Logan and I came back this evening to just be with him. Here is a picture of him resting; he has his feet propped up and everything.


I think I am getting desensitized to his size and the fact that he is so small. Logan and I were talking, and Milyn was about 7 times as heavy and twice as long as Maks at birth! I even remember thinking Milyn was so small when we took her home for the first time. She seemed so tiny in that car seat, but she was a giant compared to Maks!

This evening, Logan's little brother Landon was set apart as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. We were grateful to be there, and we are so excited for him. We know he will be a great missionary in the Farmington, New Mexico mission. Milyn is going to miss him so much. She loves her Ulcle Landon, even if he is scary sometimes! :)








When we got home tonight, I had Logan help me move my breast milk from the inside freezer to the outside freezer. It was quite the site. I probably have half the milk here, with the other half being at the hospital. Maks has seriously got to start eating because we're running out of room! :)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. SO GLAD YOU ARE OK AND MAKS IS DOING BETTER!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shalee, so glad you are willing to share all these things you are going through with all of us! I'm super impressed with your strength! What a precious little boy you have! I also wanted to tell you that my parents friends, Doyle and Karen Batt are the mission Presidents in Farmington NM and a great guy from our ward just got called there, too. His name is D"...want to say "Derek" Johnson. We have quite a few friends from Albuquerque who have settled in Farmington, too. What a great place for your BIL to go!! Hope he enjoys it! Take care, and stay strong! Love Cortney Hall

    ReplyDelete