Friday, January 18, 2013

Friday, January 18, 2013

I might have had a mini meltdown yesterday morning when I was at the hospital. I was tired and had a headache, and I woke up late, so I was totally rushed getting out the door and getting Milyn to my mom's house so I could get to the hospital in time for rounds. Anyway, as a result of this, I called Logan and told him that I needed a break. He was kind enough to go to rounds for me before heading to work today, so Milyn and I could take things a little slower this morning. Thanks, Logan!

Unfortunately, Logan got there to discover that Maks wasn't having the best day. His belly was very distended. They had an x-ray performed, and they found his belly was very full of air. He was having lots of episodes of bradycardia and oxygen desats, which they attributed to the fact that the extra air in his belly was pushing up on his diaphragm and lungs. The doctor decided to order an "Anderson" procedure where they put a different oral gastric tube down his throat and into his belly which is used to suck air out. She then ordered a glycerine enema to help get things moving on the other end. They also stopped all breast milk feedings and made him NPO, which means "nothing by mouth." Basically, his immature digestive system just continues to have difficulty getting used to the feedings.

The things they did must have helped at least a little, because when I went to see him at 5, his belly was less distended, and he had had a good bowel movement due to the enema. They had also done a repeat x-ray, which showed that there was still quite a bit of air in his belly, but less than before, and his lungs had much more room to expand, resulting in fewer episodes of bradycardia and oxygen desaturating.

I didn't get to hold him today, but I spent a lot of time holding his hand and stroking his forehead. While I was doing this, he kept smirking at me. I swear I caught a smile on camera. Look at this cute little boy!


Tonight, my mother-in-law watched Milyn so Logan and I could go to a movie to just "get away from it all." We went to a movie, took a quick trip to the hospital to check on Maks, then picked up Milyn. When we got home, Milyn said it was her turn to say the prayer. She has never said the prayer before, but she did surprisingly well and repeated almost all of the words that Logan said. She has recently started saying "thank you," but it sounds more like "sank you." It is so cute, but I had to hold in the chuckles whenever she said it because I just think it is adorable. Anyway, we all continue to pray for Maks, and we know that prayers are being answered and miracles are being performed. We know Maks has a purpose to be here; too many miracles have occurred to get him here to deny that. Thanks to everyone who continues to pray for our Miracle Maks.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment: