Sunday, March 10, 2013

Day 65

Maks continues on a steady course. I figured four pounds was just a little much yesterday, so I wasn't surprised when I spoke with the nurse this evening, and she told me he had lost a couple of ounces. Tonight he weighs 3 lbs 14 ounces. His size still just blows me away, and I am confident he will get above four pounds again soon.

He is doing well with his bottle feedings of breast milk. He is getting the bottle once every shift now, so twice a day, and he is usually able to take all of it save about 5-10 ml. He is doing so well with the bottle, but it makes me sad to think that he may never breast feed. We will keep trying, but I just don't have the time and resources with Milyn to be able to dedicate myself to coming to the hospital and feeding him every three hours. However, I am grateful my body has responded well to pumping up to this point, and I hope to be able to continue this as long as possible to help give him the benefits of breast milk, especially the immunity due to his immature immune system. Who knows, I will keep at it, and maybe he will surprise me by eventually breast feeding exclusively.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. I am stay at home and watch a teachers 2 kids, so if you ever need someone to watch Milyn, I would be willing. Ask your in laws about me they know me!

    Bethanee

    ReplyDelete
  2. My good friend wasn't able to nurse her baby (baby was not at all interested) for months after she was born! It wasn't until her baby was 4 months old that she was able to nurse her. Don't lose faith! It can happen!

    ReplyDelete