Thursday, March 21, 2013

Day 76

Thursdays are always big days for Maks. To follow up with yesterday, Dr. Borghese said we will just continue to watch the hemangiomas. Although they are getting quite large, I prefer not to have them treated with oral or injectable medications, so this was good news.

When I came in this evening, I found Maks in one of the cribs they put the "well babies" in! This is just craziness! No more incubator. Look how big and grown-up he looks!





Maks had another eye exam today. I wasn't there for the exam, but I got to talk with the doctor after the exam. Again, it doesn't look worse than last week. This is great news! It has also travelled a tiny bit closer to zone three, and he hasn't developed any tortuosity of the blood vessels. Because of this, Dr. Romwell thinks we are safe to wait another week to see if it will move further into his visual periphery on its own before deciding to do the Avastin injections and laser treatments. We are continually praying for a miracle that this will resolve on its own, but we are starting to face the reality that treatment options will have to be considered. The ophthalmologist is very pro-Avastin. Once the laser treatment is done, vision is lost from the point of treatment and out. He says that using Avastin is like buying you more visual real estate before the laser treatment is done.

We definitely have some things to consider. The risk of infection is the highest risk with the injection procedure. I keep thinking I am too young to have to be making these kinds of decisions. I feel like a teenager, with childlike instincts to want to defer decisions to my own parents. I have to remember that I am Maksim's mother, and Logan and I are the ones entitled to make decisions for him. But it is scary. Decisions are scary. I guess for now, I will just keep loving him and holding him, and we'll see what happens next week.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment